State Theatre of California
The Pasadena Playhouse was established in 1917 and is the official State Theatre of California. In recent years, The Playhouse has become instrumental in launching new works and landmark revivals for the American theatre. The Playhouse has displayed a commitment to cultural and theatrical diversity, which is reflected in seasons featuring Tony Award and Pulitzer Prize-winning plays.
The Pasadena Playhouse has a rich and vibrant history dating back to 1917 when an itinerant acting troupe by the name of the Gilmor Brown Players settled in Pasadena – at the time a sleepy little town of farmers and wealthy vacationers. The town fell in love with the Players and before they had spent ten years here, locals donated the money to move the company out of the derelict old burlesque house they had been renting and into the newly constructed Pasadena Playhouse in 1924, originally known as the Pasadena Community Playhouse. At the time, The Playhouse was the largest and most technically advanced venue on this side of the Mississippi. Its community theatre beginnings and the tremendous amount of local support led George Bernard Shaw to dub Pasadena "the Athens of the West," likening the enterprise to the ancient Festival Dionysia.
Free Theatre Tours
Free tours of the Pasadena Playhouse are offered with advanced reservations by phone at +1 (626) 921-1162. The tour offers architectural insights, historical information, visit the theatre's green room, Craftsman-style library, and the Carrie Hamilton Theatre. More
Max Capacity: 400
- All patrons will be required to wear a mask fully covering their nose and mouth at all times while in the theater.
- Ticket holders will be required to be fully vaccinated and will need to provide a photo ID and proof of vaccination (physical vaccination card, a picture of vaccination card, or a digital vaccination record).
- Guests under 12 years old or those who need a reasonable accommodation for medical reasons or due to a sincerely held religious belief must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within 72 hours prior to entering the theater.
- Children under 5 will not be admitted. Children 5 years old or older must be able to wear a mask fully covering their nose and mouth at all times while in the theater.
- Exclusive to Pasadena
- Historic Building
- Indoor Venue
- Live Entertainment
- Walking Distance to Convention Center
Playhouse Village, a quaint neighborhood in Pasadena, is brimming with public art, entertainment, beautiful...