- 391 S. Orange Grove Blvd.
- Pasadena, CA 91184
- T: 626-449-4100
This Italian Renaissance-style mansion was built in 1906 for the Stimson family in Pasadena’s “Millionaire’s Row”. The house was designed and built by architect G. Lawrence Stimson and his father, George W. Stimson. After most of the Stimson children left the nest, the house became too big for the Stimsons and they sold the house to William Wrigley Jr. in 1914.
The mansion was presented to the City of Pasadena in 1958 by the Wrigley family with the understanding that it would become the permanent headquarters for the Tournament of Roses®, and so today it is known as the Tournament House.
Surrounding the Tournament House are the Wrigley Gardens, which feature floral displays that span four and a half acres and more than 1,500 varieties of roses, camellias and annuals.
TIP: Pay special attention to the rose varieties, one pink variety in particular is resistant to black spots, white powder, and rust. They are known as the Tournament of Roses Rose, they were developed by William Warriner for the Tournament of Roses centennial — William Warriner was the number one rose breeder in the United States. In 1989 the Tournament of Roses Rose was awarded an All-American Rose Selections (AARS).
Free Tours of the Tournament House
Free tours of the Tournament House are offered from February through August. Each Thursday at 2:00 PM and 3:00 PM. There is no reservations process, guests are asked to arrive ten minutes prior to the tour. Large groups of ten or more are asked to contact the Tournament of Rose Association at 626-449-4100.
Street parking is the only option here, two hour street parking is available on Arbor Street (north of the house), if that is full guests can park on Grand Street which located behind the house (parallel to Orange Grove Boulevard). Be sure to read street parking signs to avoid tickets.
Tournament of Roses Association
The Tournament of Roses Association produces the Rose Parade and Rose Bowl game each New Year in Pasadena, California. The Rose Parade was conceived by the Valley Hunt Club in 1890, it served as a mid-winter festival where they would invite their neighbors who moved from the East Coast, or lived in Pasadena seasonally. Five years later, after the Rose Parade grew too large for the Valley Hunt Club, the Tournament of Roses Association was formed. Today 935 volunteers make up the Tournament of Roses, they are affectionately referred to as “White Suiters” because of the distinctive white uniform every volunteer wears.