- Sunday, January 07, 2018 - Friday, January 12, 2018
Inventing the Cheeseburger
Legend has it that Lionel Sternberger invented the cheeseburger in 1924, while working at his father’s roadside stand in Pasadena, California. The restaurant was called the Rite Spot and Lionel called his creation the Aristocratic Burger — it cost 15 cents back then which you can see for yourself at the Pasadena Museum of History, they have an old Rite Spot menu in their archive.
Pasadena Cheeseburger Week
Shortly after the Tournament of Roses each year, restaurants and locals pay homage to Lionel’s achievement with a week-long celebration (January 7-12, 2018).
Join with friends and make a night of it by organizing a Cheeseburger Crawl. It works best with four or eight. Simply pick four restaurants to visit, order a cheeseburger and cut it into quarters, then each friend tastes it. Move on to the next place and do the same. After four restaurants, you each will have tasted four burgers. Enjoy drinks, have a beer, or just enjoy your cheeseburgers.
Traditional Cheeseburger Crawl
2. Du-par’s | 214 South Lake Avenue, Pasadena, CA 91101
A beloved diner-chain that began over 70 years ago. It was founded in LA, and the Executive Chef is Spago alumnus.
3. The Counter | 140 Shoppers Ln, Pasadena, CA 91101
Contemporary chain with customizable gourmet burgers, including vegetarian, plus beer & wine.
Old Pasadena Cheeseburger Crawl
1. Central Park Restaurant| 219 S. Fair Oaks Ave. Pasadena, CA 91105
While their cuisine is technically American, their menu incorporates strong Italian, Mexican, and French influences.
2. Umami Burger | 49 E Colorado Blvd, Pasadena, CA 91105
Hip burger spot known for playful flavors for meat lovers.
3. Mi Piace | 25 E. Colorado Blvd. Pasadena, CA 91105
Mi Piace is popular, offering fresh, light Italian cooking embellished with New York flavors as well as a variety of exotic cuisine.
4. POP Champagne & Dessert Bar | 33 E Union St, Pasadena, CA 91103
Romantic space with elegant menu offerings (and original Batchelder tiles).
South Lake Avenue Cheeseburger Crawl
1. The Counter | 140 Shoppers Ln, Pasadena, CA 91101
Contemporary burger chain where you build-your-own burger.
2. Green Street Restaurant | 146 Shoppers Ln, Pasadena, CA 91106
A Pasadena staple from 1979, specializing in California cuisine.
3. BluRoom at the Dusit D2 | 928 E. Colorado Blvd., Pasadena, CA 91106
Elegant hotel bar in rich colors.
4. Del Frisco’s Grille, 55 S Lake Ave, Suite 150, Pasadena, CA 91101
Very popular with people who work in the offices nearby, the menu features several fan favorites.
Beer and Cheeseburger Crawl
This itinerary is meant to be paired with a ride share service (Uber or Lyft) or a designated driver.
1. Lucky Baldwin’s, 17 S Raymond Ave, Pasadena, CA 91105
Family-run British pub located in Old Pasadena.
2. Dog Haus Biergarten, 93 E Green St, Pasadena, CA 91105
Casual parlor with benches and picnic tables and a full bar. Burgers here are made with Hawaiian sweet rolls.
3. The Tap Room at the Langham Pasadena | 1401 S Oak Knoll Ave, Pasadena, CA 91106.
The Tap Room at the Langham Pasadena is an upscale bar featuring classic handmade cocktails, premium beers on tap, upscale bar food and live music.
4. Kings Row Gastropub, 20 E Colorado Blvd, Pasadena, CA 91103
Popular gastropub featuring a scratch kitchen and large outdoor space.
Lunchtime Vegetarian-friendly Cheeseburger Crawl
1. Green Street Restaurant | 146 Shopper’s Ln.Pasadena, CA 91101.
Green Street Restaurant has been a Pasadena tradition since 1979 has a housemade Quinoa patty, roasted Pasilla chilies, pepper jack cheese, fresh greens and chipotle aioli.
2. True Food Kitchen |168 W. Colorado Blvd Pasadena, CA 91105.
Select from vegan, vegetarian, naturally organic, gluten free, and paleo.
3. The Stand | 36 S El Molino Ave, Pasadena, CA 91101.
The Stand is one the newest participants to the list and has a great stand made veggie burgers.
4. Pie ‘n Burger, 913 E. California Blvd., Pasadena, CA 91106
This old school burger joint offers a very satisfying vegetarian burger, which is basically their famous burger with a veggie patty. It’s delicious.
- Pasadena Restaurant Week
- Organizer Website
- Event Website